Recipe by The Thrift Kitchen
Great warm meal to enjoy in winter; goes well with pap, mash or baby potatoes.
Pot Roast Ingredients:
- 1kg chuck roast (or any large cut of beef)
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed and smashed)
- 2 tablespoons of oil (regular olive oil, canola or vegetable oil)
- 5 Celery Sticks (chopped)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup white beans
- 3 + 1/2 cups of reduced beef broth
- 2 heaped tablespoons of flour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees; rub both sides of the meat with the salt, pepper and garlic evenly.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and when hot, add oil and sear both sides of the meat until browned – about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chopped fresh onions and garlic to the pan; brown for 2-3 minutes to begin cooking process. Carefully pour in the 3 cups of beef broth (Make sure to use an oven proof pan) and cover and bake for 2 hours.
- Mix together the flour and remaining 1/2 cup broth until combined and stir into the pot. Turn the meat over and push down into the liquid. Return to the oven and bake another hour or so until the meat is fork tender.
I made my broth the night before – Boiled beef bones in salt water and oil, removed the bones and placed the liquid in the fridge! But you can buy yours!
For more recipes go to The Thrift Kitchen